Belief Factor

Posted on Friday, July 14, 2006 by Patrick YC Lim
I know I am in dangerous territory when I am talking about belief; especially when it’s about belief factor. How can anyone sub-divide belief? In its purity, belief is belief, either you have it or you don’t. There is no half measure.

How did I come up with the Belief Factor?

I do a lot of business coaching and what I discovered was that the Belief Factor actually played a crucial role in deciding whether the person I was coaching would succeed in what they were aiming for or not. I found there were basically 4 levels of belief. And if I could understand what level of belief they were at, it would give me a good indication as to the commitment level of the people I coach.

Here it goes. Belief starts from the lowest level which is T then H then B, and the highest is K.

T for TRY

That’s the first and lowest level of belief.

What do you think your commitment level is when you use the word try? Say you are invited to a meeting. Your reply is, “I will try to come”. What does that statement imply? More likely than not it means that you are not coming.

When you are asked to try a piece of cookie, it simply means if you don’t like it, you don’t have to finish it.

I find it very amusing when I get someone telling me, “I will trrrryyyyy my best to be there” and it sounded so sincere. You know what? It tells me that he is definitely not coming. Period. In this context try is just a polite word of saying no.

Honestly you just can’t try.

It’s either you do or do not. No one can “try” to stand up. It’s either you stand up or you don’t.

When I hear words like try(-lah) from a person I am coaching, even if he is serious about his goals, I know he is not committed to achieving it. He needs help. Lots of help.

When you use the word TRY you may not realize this, your subconscious mind is picking those verbal signals up. You know, what the mind thinks so shall be the behavior. People who are in the trying mode never achieve their goals.

My role as a business coach is to shift him to a high gear of commitment. Therefore knowing what his state of belief is a good measure for me.

I came up with a table for

Belief Levels

Level: Try
Doubt: High
Faith: Nil
Passion: Nil
Commitment: Not at All

(To be continued)

(Mission: To enhance people’s lives so that they might improve their world. To help people Create Wealth).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]